What is the school policy regarding Special Educational Needs and Disability?

Full details of the schools SEN policy can be found by clicking here.

My son is entitled to Free School Meals. How does this affect an application to BWS?

Boys living outside of the designated area and on low incomes may be entitled to priority when places are allocated. Parents should indicate that their son qualifies for Free School Meals on the Registration Form and provide documentary evidence.

My son qualifies for the Service Premium. Does this affect an application to BWS?

Boys whose parent is or has been a member of the Armed Forces may be entitled to priority when places are allocated. Parents should indicate that their son qualifies for the Service Premium in their school or that their son has been a Service Child in any of the previous three years prior to the date of the test or that their son is in receipt of a child pension from the Ministry of Defence. Documentary evidence will be required.

I think my son qualifies for special concessions when he takes the test – what should I do next?

Contact the School as soon as possible. You will need to complete a Special Access Arrangements form (available from 24th April 2019) which must be returned to the School by 5th July 2019.

What practice should I give my son for the 11+ test?

The BWS Eleven Plus test papers are prepared by CEM (University of Durham). There are no practice papers for sale in respect of the CEM tests. A familiarisation booklet of questions is available. They will be tests for which no additional preparation is necessary. The familiarisation booklet is designed to inform parents and candidates about the Entrance Test in order to: give a feel for the appearance of the actual assessment; introduce some of the symbols and phrases used in the assessment; inform parents and candidates of the invigilation procedure; indicate the range of disciplines that will be tested; highlight the range of answer formats used in the test. This booklet also includes examples to indicate the range of skills required to complete the assessment and the manner in which questions are answered. The familiarisation booklet is NOT definitive and the inclusion of any question types does not guarantee that they will be found in the final assessment.

How are the 11+ tests marked?

CEM designs the mark scheme. All marks are 'standardised', according to the age in years and months of the applicant, to produce a final score.

Once results are issued, how will I know if I can put BWS as a preference on my Secondary Application Form?

Your results letter from the School will inform you if your son has passed the test but this letter does not constitute an offer of a place at BWS. Offers at BWS depend not only on passing the test but upon the overall number of boys who passed and the preferences that parents have expressed on the Secondary Application Form issued by the LA. Should the school be oversubscribed, a number of boys who have passed the test will not be offered places but will be put on the waiting list.

I live outside the designated area – is my son likely to get in?

Boys from outside the designated area who have passed the entrance test may be offered a place, but the further away you live from the School (as the crow flies), the less likely it is that your son can be offered a place. Those who live some distance away, may well have to join the waiting list if there are a high number of successful applicants.

If my son is unsuccessful in the 11+ test, what should I do if I still want him to be considered for a place?

You should still put BWS down as a preference on your SAF, because although your son is not eligible to be offered a place on 1st March 2019, it entitles you to lodge a parental appeal which will take place in May 2019. The appeal will be heard by a panel of members who are totally independent of the School.

How will the way in which I state my preferences affect my application to another popular school?

Equal preference is operated by all LAs. Parents who wish their child to go to a grammar school should put that grammar school as first preference on the LA SAF. This will not affect their other school preferences.

If my son is not offered a place is it possible to appeal?

Yes, there are two types of appeal: resources and selective

  1. Any parent may appeal to the Independent Appeals Panel, against the decision not to allocate a place on grounds of resources (ie the school is full).
  2. Any parent may appeal to the Independent Appeals Panel, against the decision not to allocate a place on grounds of selection (ie the child is deemed unsuitable for a grammar school education).

Full details on making an appeal, are posted out to parents whose son is not offered a place.